Wednesday 25 May 2016

A refugee - on Africa Day?

Refugees???

On this day, Africa Day, I am tempted to reflect on the word Refugees.

Hano, how do you understand the word refugees, especially on this day? My intention is not to change the dictionary word or the real meaning of this word, but I am trying to bring a human touch to it, especially meant for my young cyber-links who might need this input.

Well for me, "refugees" are my fellow human beings who due to a circumstance beyond their control - find themselves in the neighbour or fellow African country's space.

I am hereby specifically referring to my fellow human beings who especially suffered the terrible effect of natural calamities, the man-made troubles like the war and related conflicts.Just pause a while and put yourself in the shoes of those fellow Africans, both young and old.

How do you actually look at the fellow Africans whom we refer to as refugees? Do we also recognize that anyone could be finding him herself in that situation one day? Therefore, we need to be mindful of our actions against our fellow Africans. We are one continental community and family, forming part of the large earth clan.

I guess we also remember well that some of our Namibian Heroes and Heroines were also in other Fellow Africans' countries as part of the struggle for freedom. And we also know that even some of our children were born in some African countries and overseas. Our leaders have been sheltered and educated in other African countries and overseas. Just imagine if that were you - how would you have wanted fellow Africans to receive and treat you - and actually to call you -- refugee??
Now, take a minute and think how you will like to treat a fellow African starting right now, after you read this post?

I am sure all of us will embrace fellow Africans, just the way we would like to be embraced. The world or title refugee is just a working title for me - which anyone including me can have one day -- therefore let's treat other fellow Africans as we would like to be treated.

Happy Africa Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment