Saturday 1 February 2014

Humble beginnings : 50 web users in the United States viewed my Menesiana Blog page and a number of them in France, UK, Canada, Brazil, Germany, Ukraine.






Menesiana blog indicating the general audience viewing patterns in various categories.

The content I am generating here right now might not mean anything at all to guru-web or social network site users. But to humble beginner-bloggers like me, this is my first steps toward benefiting from the freely available social networking sites tools for both my personal (social) and professional networking. A life-changing web-using and mainly social networking experience indeed.

Menesian blog -created during the week of 27-31st Jan 2014.
For those who were following me on my blog, you realized that menesiana.blogspot.com was just created this week during my Web 2.0 for Development training course jointly organized by the University of Namibia and the Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation (ACP-EU) held in Windhoek. So far, I have only posted 8 content pieces - based on my practical experience with the technology tools that our Web 2.0 expert and trainer Simunza Muyangana taught me.


Total numbr of posts recorded in less than a week and their headline/tag/content popularity.

However, what is exciting is that - a blogger is able to have statistics break-downs of who is following the particular posts, the countries these audience who are viewing the page are from, the total number of those who watched the particular post - or the story which generated most interest, the day they viewed the page, today or yesterday or even last month, the traffic sources based on the social networking sites, the systems used such as what type of phone, computer etc - and you can also view these in the form of graphs etc.



Graph of those following a particular post and day of doing so, today or yesterday.

Isn't this really what all of us need as individuals and professionals in our rights? During the training, Mr. Muyangana showed us how to create pages for our businesses - and how to formulate communicate strategies for the business which must include the objectives of that plan, how it will be out, on which social network sites, when and by who etc. If you can monitor your blog, and of course your business page, why not embrace this technology as these date and figures are the ones that are selling or at least make your product to sell, in terms of the audiences the blog or business page attracts/pulls and subsequently the potential advertisers that can promote your goods on that particular page?



Page view per country.


A closer look of the page view per country



This is the main reason why I am writing this post, to encourage fellow Namibians and colleagues and friends beyond our borders to start making use of this ICT for development technology. You can only get value out of it - and for free... this is the way to go my dear friends. I now that many of us do have the necessary tools, but like me before I joined the course, many of you especially those not exposed to this technology have taught yourselves how to make use of these networks, and hardly make use of the opportunities granted by this Web 2.0 for development revolution.

You can start now, and be an entepreneur in your own right, starting smaller - and that humble begining could change into unbelievable developments one day. I was so excited to see which audiences are following my blog - and in less than three days or so because I just created this blog late this week, I recorded 50 web users in SA viewing my posts while another of from the Europe also made their mark. In Namibia, 160 were already in my circle, checking out what I am writing about. And I saw that face-book which is the leading social network platform with over 60 million users is the most appropriate site for me to promote my work.



Popular social network sites to promote your content on, Facebook is the leader.


During the course, we were taught that from the overall content on the web, only 4% was generated from Africa or was African content, and 1% of that was from South Africa and the begging question was, when will some of us start to contribute in order to improve the web African content percentage? Blogging is one way of doing it, all you need to do is to learn how you can benefit from the available technology tools. And as you know, writing is curating because you are recording and storing some historic information that might be needed one day across various generations and times. Writing also not only helps you to express your views and grow in this area, it builds on your information sharing capacity, improve your writing skills and promote either your presence on the web, your skills or business and even your country, continent and the world.
Audience page viewing by browser - systems used.



 How many people in this world know more about Namibia for example (not to mention you as a professional or your business)? Today, you have ample opportunity to sell your country to the rest of the world and happenings - at least great tales and development that most of the time go unnoticed in many areas. I have already posted my content to over 50 page viewers in the USA (just an example) in less than three days, what if I keep that speed for a month? This means more and more audiences will know about what content I am generating. Yes, it also depends on the topic you are bringing out on this platform and the interests of the various web users because there are millions out there that are competing for their content to be viewed and for more attention. It is therefore up to us to make sure that we bring out simple but realistic tales that are truthful and credible - and can add value to the other web users' knowledge.



Menesiana Blogger -Author of the pag



My advice to you, start blogging right now, it is not difficult, you can learn to do it - and your whole experience with social networking will change completely....and it links you hundreds - thousands and subsequently millions of web users are there.

No comments:

Post a Comment